Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Wednesday in Zurich



Right now, we are watching Boston Legal in German. For some reason, William Shatner just isn't the same dubbed over auf Deutsche. Oh well, the English channels are limited to a North American sports channel that shows yesterday's hockey games, 3 BBCs, CNBC and CNN international. MTV shows programs in English, but let's face it, I can only watch Date My Mom so many times. I have taken great pleasure in watching Die Simpsons, however. I think I will use this to teach myself German since I know what they are actually saying in English. Anyway, haven't been too too active in the last 2 days as little Alex has been busy with her studies. Spent yesterday just wandering around getting rained on while waiting for her to get out of class and today did a little more of the same, minus the rain. Got a lot of good pics today and got to do some quality wandering. Spent some time just creeping through the maze of the narrow streets of the Niederdorf. Tons of cool shops on stone lined streets, with nifty Swiss houses up above. Treated myself to some heisse Maroni, a local delicacy. They are hot, roasted chestnuts that are served in the shell in a paper cone. You crack them open and eat the sweet flesh on the inside. They are delicious - soft and sweet, flavored with brown sugar, I think. I'll take a picture of some tomorrow. Then Alex and I walked along the Bahnhofstrasse again and bought her some housewares. This street is very cool, lots of people out and about, young and old, rich, poor, all kinds. It is Switzerland's answer to Fifth Avenue, with all of the exclusive stores. Here are some pictures that I wish I could have taken myself.

Ok, I'll throw in some pictures of some of the stuff I saw today and will hopefully get into some more tomorrow. We are going to try to preserve a bit of our Americanism by having some people over tomorrow and having a pseudo-Thanksgiving dinner/party. Then, Friday and Saturday, Alex will not have class so we will be able to get out and see a lot more. Oh, and I don't know about you, but I am kinda disappointed that the OJ book isn't coming out anymore.

Beautiful shot of Lake Zurich. I am looking to the Southwest from the east side of the Limmat river. This is my favorite part of Zurich so far. There are so many spots from which you can catch a great glimpse of the lake and it is definitely beautiful.



Cool building, Alex doesn't know what it is, maybe I'll try to find out.



The main building of ETH (Eidgenössische Technische Hochschule, or Swiss Federal Institute of Technology), little Alex's university. The dragon is an advertisement for the Polyball, a huge party for students and all of Zurich. They are expecting about 10,000 attendees, 2 of which will be us. Should be a great time.



This is a shot of the view taken from the terrace behind the building above. You can see a lot of Zurich, but strangely, not the Lake. It was a cloudy day, but the view is very beautiful.



Cool shot while walking in the Niederdorf, the old town of Zurich. Full of shops and cafes and stuff. Very neat.



This was taken from the park behind the Swiss National Museum which is an awesome building. Lots of towers and courtyards. We will be going there on Friday, so I am looking forward to that. As the link says, it is one of the most important art museums of cultural history in Europe and the world.



This is the train schedule that I saw inside the Main Station. It even does that cool European airport thing where the numbers flip over to change. I guess they are shunning digitization in Europe and I say good for them.



Oh, and just for fun, a XXX theater. Sadly, I was in too much of a hurry to take in the triple feature, but maybe I'll have some time tomorrow. Hopefully. Well, I'll make some time.



I posted all my pictures up to yesterday to flickr so check them out and I'll be back tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home